Since the U.S. Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (CTPAT) came together in November 2001, more than 11,500 companies, including AIT Worldwide Logistics, have joined the organization’s ranks. In fact, CTPAT members account for more than 52 percent (by value) of all cargo imported into the United States.
Learn more about CTPAT and what WT Cargo's involvement in the organization means for our customers.
What is CTPAT certification?
One piece of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) cargo enforcement strategy, CTPAT is a voluntary supply chain security program focused on improving the security of private companies' supply chains with respect to terrorism. Principle stakeholders include importers, carriers, consolidators, licensed customs brokers and manufacturers. Learn more at cpb.gov.
Does WT Catgo have CTPAT certification?
Yes. WT Cargo is certified. We joined in 2009 and we are proud to take an active role in CTPAT’s goal to protect both the U.S. and international trade industries from terrorists.
What does CTPAT compliance entail?
CTPAT compliance requires all applicants to address a broad range of security topics and present security profiles that list action plans to align security throughout the supply chain. When we joined the program, the company made an agreement to work with CBP to protect the supply chain, identify security gaps, and implement specific security measures and best practices.
What does it take to earn CTAPT certification?
CTPAT certification is free and voluntary three-step process.
- Applicants review the minimum security criteria to determine eligibility.
- Applicants submit a basic application via the CTPAT Portal system.
- Applicants complete a supply chain security profile (following an internal risk assessment).
The security profile explains how the applicant meets the program’s minimum security criteria. Upon satisfactory completion of the application and supply chain security profile, the applicant company is assigned a CTPAT Supply Chain Security Specialist to review the submitted materials and to provide program guidance on an on-going basis. The program will then have as many as 90 days to certify or reject the applicant. If certified, the applicant will be validated within a year of certification.
What are the benefits of doing business with a CTAPT member?
Our membership enhances our ability to identify security vulnerabilities and take corrective actions to mitigate risks. This allows us to provide improved security and speed of service to our customers. Some of the many benefits of membership in the program include, but are not limited to:
- Front of the line inspections
- Shorter wait times at the border
- A federal Supply Chain Security Specialist assigned to the company
- Access to the Free and Secure Trade (FAST) Lanes at the land borders
- Access to the CTPAT web-based Portal system and a library of training materials
- Eligibility for other U.S. Government pilot programs, such as the Food and Drug Administration’s Secure Supply Chain program
- Business resumption priority following a natural disaster or terrorist attack
What other cargo security credentials does WT Cargo hold?
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)-certified Indirect Air Carrier (IAC)